Looking to explore a little bit of the city while getting caught up with history? Look no further than the Engine 374 Pavilion in Yaletown to learn about this significant part of the city.
A LITTLE HISTORY
The CPR Engine 374 pulled the first transcontinental passenger train into the city on May 23, 1887, marking an important day not only for Vancouver, but the entire nation. The event marked one of the greatest engineering feats to date, and opened up new pathways between Canada's coasts.
In September, 1914, Engine 374 was selected for a complete rebuilding; it was an almost completely new locomotive, built upon the main frame of the original 1886 locomotive. No. 374 was given an additional thirty year lease on life and remained in revenue service until July, 1945, when it was retired after serving in the second World War. Initially placed at Kitsilano Park to be freely enjoyed for all, damages over the years called for a restoration project.
During 1988-1990, the public was invited to the Roundhouse Courtyard to view the engine and the Heritage Bricks.
Canada’s most historic steam locomotive, Engine 374, faced an uncertain future, having been out of steam for a significant period of time. Was it to remain forgotten after a few moments of fame at Expo 86? As part of its development, Concord Pacific converted the Roundhouse into a Community Centre, giving both the building and surrounding area park land to the Parks Board. The 374 Station Pavilion building was proposed by the Park Board at the Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre in Yaletown, Vancouver. This became a reality in the 1990′s, as the 374 now sits permanently at its new home.
Visit the engine at:
Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre
181 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver, BC V6Z 2W3
(corner of Davie Street and Pacific Boulevard, a 10-minute walk from downtown Vancouver, B.C.)
- Open daily year-round; admission is FREE
- Summer hours: 10am-4pm
- Winter hours: 11am-3pm
- Operated by West Coast Railway Association’s volunteers